• Greener Pastures: Transforming Landscapes with Graf Lawn Care

Greener Pastures: Transforming Landscapes with Graf Lawn Care

• Hutchinson Invitational Recap

Hutchinson Invitational Recap

• Revolutionizing Metal Fabrication: The Power And Precision of CNC Plasma Cutting Machines

Revolutionizing Metal Fabrication: The Power And Precision of CNC Plasma Cutting Machines

• Andale/GP: Pros and Cons of The Merge

Andale/GP: Pros and Cons of The Merge

• State Band Results: The Highlights and Beyond

Fine Arts

State Band Results: The Highlights and Beyond

• The Continued Athletic Career Of Jenna Kuepker

The Continued Athletic Career Of Jenna Kuepker

• Renwicks Pride: The Inspiring Journey of Alumni Gwen Martin

Renwick’s Pride: The Inspiring Journey of Alumni Gwen Martin

• Andale Youth Track; A System That Builds Athletes.

Andale Youth Track; A System That Builds Athletes.

• Celebrating Success Beyond Graduation with McKenzie Fairchild

Celebrating Success Beyond Graduation with McKenzie Fairchild

• The Kansas Speedway

The Kansas Speedway

Every Number Tells a Story

Contributed Photo
#28 Logan Dold heads to the end zone during the 2007 State Championship Game vs. Silver Lake

Garden Plain High School has had a number of athletes achieve great things in their athletic careers following high school graduation. A huge part of any athlete’s profile is their jersey number. Let’s take a look back at some of our alums, as well as who is currently wearing their jersey number.

FOOTBALL

Logan Dold is one of the most successful and well-known football players from Garden Plain. Dold wore jersey #28 all four years of high school and continued to wear #28 for another four years while playing for Kansas State University. Dold said that there was no huge reason behind choosing #28. He chose #28 because it was one of the last numbers that fit his position when he was a freshman. The meaning and connection to this jersey clearly became more as the years have gone by.

Currently, sophomore Emrick Hays is wearing jersey #28. Hays said that he chose #28 because Adrian Peterson wore it as well. Dold offered some advice to the young sophomore as he continues his Garden Plain football career, “Play every down as hard as you can, be a great leader on the field, and hold yourself and your teammates accountable on and off the field. Not every kid is built to be the best athlete on the field, but one thing you can control is your effort, heart, and enthusiasm. The Garden Plain community and football program have a special place in my heart. I would like him to know that we are all behind him and rooting for the entire team. Go Owls.”

Kyle Perry is another one of Garden Plain’s amazing alumni. Perry wore #3 during his seasons with the Owls. When asked why he wore this number, he stated that he as well didn’t really have a big reason for wearing #3. Perry remembered that he was supposed to be #8 but for some reason he didn’t get a choice, so instead he settled with the closest number.

Currently, Ty Scheer is wearing #3 as he plays through his senior year. Scheer’s reason for wearing #3 was because his brother wore it as well. Perry offered advice to Scheer, “Be a student of the game. Games are not just won on Friday night, they are won during the week from your preparation. Friday night is just when you showcase your hard work.”

Daniel Capul, Class of 2009, was also an amazing player. Capul wore #22 in his high school seasons. The reason behind his choice in number was because of Dallas Cowboy Emmitt Smith. Capul said, “I liked the way that Emmitt ran the ball. He was quick on his feet and would also put his shoulder down and run through defenders.”

Pete McGregor is currently wearing jersey #22 in his sophomore season. McGregor said that his reason behind choosing this number was because all of his brothers wore it as well. Capul’s advice to McGregor was, “Never should one guy bring you down on defense. Put your shoulders down and punish them, read the field and the defense. Play physical, play hard, and play with heart. Good luck this season and I wish him the best.”

VOLLEYBALL

Daylynn Doyle was a star volleyball player for the Lady Owls from 2012-2015. Doyle was a senior outside hitter on the 2015 3A State Championship team and was also the starting freshman libero for the 2012 team that was 3A State Champion Runner-Ups. Doyle was also a Kansas Volleyball Association First Team All-State Selection 

Doyle wore #3 in her high school career. When asked her reasoning behind the number, she stated that she has always liked number three because of the phrase “I am Third”. Doyle said that Gale Sayers used that saying and it means God first, family and friends second, and yourself third. Doyle also claimed that Coach Clark gave her number three before her senior year and told her that many great leaders that played before her wore number three. Doyle said, “Her trusting me with that number gave me the confidence I needed to be the leader the team needed me to be that year!”

Currently, Jaicey Stuhlsatz is wearing #3 in her sophomore season. Stuhlsatz said she pretty much got handed the jersey number but had no objection as she knew it was worn by Ryleigh Stuhlsatz in which she looks up to a great amount. Stuhlsatz said that she cannot believe that she is old enough to be wearing this jersey already, she said that time has flown by. Doyle’s advice for Stuhlsatz was, “If you can remember that “you are third” (God first, family and friends second, and you third), you will be a great player and ultimately a great leader to those around you.”

Leann Patterson accomplished some amazing things while wearing jersey #5 from 2008-2011. Patterson played on the 2008 3A State Championship team, and the 2010 3A State Third Place Team. Patterson shared that her reason for wearing #5 is because it was worn by her mom as well. Patterson said that her mom is a very hardworking woman at anything she does and it is up to her to carry on the tradition.

Currently, Lyndsee Ricke is wearing #5 as she continues her junior season. Ricke mentioned that it is so weird to be wearing the jerseys that have been through many state tournaments. Patterson’s advice to Ricke is “to enjoy every single day of this journey! Coach Clark is an outstanding coach and many of the lessons I learned from her I still use today. I have my ‘Mind Gym’ book on my nightstand that I frequently reread. One of my favorite lessons was coach always told us to not ride the roller coaster when playing and I think this relates to life in general. You will always have good plays and bad plays and if you just stay level headed you will always prevail! Best of luck the rest of the season!”

Check out the now vs. then photo gallery of jersey numbers.

• #28 Logan Dold heads to the end zone during the 2007 State Championship Game vs. Silver Lake

• #28 Sophomore Emrick Hays carries the ball against Chaparral.

• #3 Kyle Perry playing in the 2007 3A State Championship game vs. Silver Lake.

• Senior, #3 Ty Sheer blocks in a recent game vs. Chaparral

• Sophomore, #22 Pete McGregor gains yards against the Conway Springs Cardinals.

• #3 Daylynn Doyle-May celebrates a kill with her teammates during the 2015 3A State Championship match vs. Silver Lake

• #3 Sophomore Jaicey Stuhlsatz listens intently during a team huddle.

• #5 Leann Patterson executes a pass in serve reception during the 2010 3A State Tournament

• #5 Junior Lyndsee Ricke provides coverage on Claire Rolf’s attack vs. Inman.