• Wasabi: A Flavorful Journey Through Japanese Cuisine!

Wasabi: A Flavorful Journey Through Japanese Cuisine!

• Not Just a Local Restaurant, Its a Place to Make Memories

Not Just a Local Restaurant, It’s a Place to Make Memories

• Addi Raus Real Estate Internship Experience

Addi Rau’s Real Estate Internship Experience

• Behind the Scenes of Into the Woods

Fine Arts

Behind the Scenes of “Into the Woods”

• Andale Sports Featuring Stanhope

Andale Sports Featuring Stanhope

• Renwick Student, Noah Reichenberger Beats Cancer

Renwick Student, Noah Reichenberger Beats Cancer

• Beyond the Books: The Colwich Library

Beyond the Books: The Colwich Library

• Kamplings Head Turning Dunk

Kampling’s Head Turning Dunk

• Principal Perspective

Principal Perspective

• Why Should We Sleep?

Why Should We Sleep?

GPHS Robotics Students Create a Halloween Costume for Disabled Student

Contributed Photo
GPHS robotics students gifted a Kane Brown themed Halloween costume to a student through the Walkin & Rollin’ Costumes organization.

Walkin & Rollin’ Costumes (www.walkinrollin.org) is an amazing organization that ensures kids with disabilities can have costumes for Halloween. Mr. Rockers, technology teacher at Garden Plain High School, decided this year he would contribute to the organization and guide his robotics class to build a costume for Taisha, a student needing a costume. Rockers’ class was assigned Taisha through the organization and worked to familiarize themselves with her and what kind of costume she would like. The class worked together and came up with the idea of guitars on either side of Taisha’s wheelchair. 

Shelby Mies, junior robotics student, loved the project and enjoyed how happy Taisha was when they gave her the costume. Mies’ part in this project was spray painting and putting the little details together. Mies said, “Being part of this project showed me the importance of making everyone feel included.”

The costume was made using Mr. Rocker’s laser engraver, 3D printer, and a vinyl cutter. The class also used Mr. Gordon’s CNC router to complete the project.  The students worked on it and completed it within a few weeks. The guitars rested on her chair with a PVC pipe by the wheel frame.

Sophomore Harry Mohr was another student who worked on the project. He said, “The most difficult part for us was getting started with an idea. This project made me excited to come to school because we were doing something important.” His favorite part was giving it to Taisha and seeing her reaction. Mohr originally came up with the idea for guitars and loved the end product.

Taisha’s favorite singer is Kane Brown, so the design features Kane Brown’s name on the guitar sides, and a microphone that includes a Bluetooth speaker so Taisha can sing her favorite Kane Brown songs, or play his latest tunes for others to enjoy. Other GPHS students participating in the project were Aaron Zoglman, Conley Winn, and Derrick Seay.

To learn more about Walkin & Rollin’ Costumes visit www.walkinrollin.org. If you are interested in donating to the organization, check out their donations link.