• St. Marks Sprint to Success

St. Mark’s Sprint to Success

• Unlocking Success: The Journey of Michelle Shackelford

Unlocking Success: The Journey of Michelle Shackelford

• Samson and Philomena Sadiqs Journey to America

Samson and Philomena Sadiq’s Journey to America

• 8th Grade Promotion Information

8th Grade Promotion Information

• Emery Park Pond

Spring Fishing In Sedgwick County

• The Bretthauer Empire: Cutterz Lawn Care

The Bretthauer Empire: Cutterz Lawn Care

• Reflecting on a Legacy: Honoring Becky Strunks Retirement

Reflecting on a Legacy: Honoring Becky Strunk’s Retirement

GPHS Girls Basketball Start Up!

Claire+Rolfs%2C+Alayna+Hoheisel+and+Ava+Mies+before+practice.+
Jaicey Stuhlsatz
Claire Rolfs, Alayna Hoheisel and Ava Mies before practice.

Basketball season has officially started. The GPHS girls basketball team started practice November 13. Coach Kody Kasselman has been coaching for 22 years. He is ready for the season and trying out different drills with the girls. Coach Kasselman said, “I’ve learned to look forward to the unknown every year. Kids are different. Even when they come back they can be different.” The jigsaw of coaching, where to put kids is what he’s excited for. Coach Kasselman has his goals, one being, getting the most out of this team. He shared, “I want them to enjoy it, I want them to be the best team they can be, being a lady owl!” 

Kasselman will prepare for games by keeping a scouting report, and understanding how kids play, what style they like, and what they do well. He said, “It varies based on who’s playing. It’s a work in progress. Only two players that have any varsity experience are playing. I have no clue which younger kids will step up to fill roles or what older kids can lead.”  Going back to the basics of basketball is what he’s going to do this year. 

With the loss of senior Haidyn Thompson due to an injury, a big role is left to fill. Returning players include senior Alayna Hoheisel and junior Ava Mies, both posts players. Junior Claire Rolfs, an amazing ball handler, also returns with varsity experience. Rolfs can get to the basket no matter who’s guarding her. She stays calm under pressure and gets the job done. 

Mies can play any position. She’s able to make outside shots and inside shots with ease. Mies shared her feelings about the season, “I’m excited! We have a good group of girls and I can’t wait to see where this season leads.” 

Hoheisel as a post, can create great shot opportunities. She’s able to post others up, and get around them to make a goal. Hoheisle also shared her enthusiasm for the start of the season, “I’m excited that this year there is a whole new group of girls that I get to play with and I think they all have great potential. I can’t wait to see what happens this season.” 

Other players vying for time will be sophomore Reese Stuhlsatz, who is becoming a big part of the equation. She has hustle on the court and can jump to the passes for a steal. Junior Jaden Stuhlsatz, a post player, can post up big and get to the basket with some great moves. 

The Lady Owls will see their first action at a jamboree on November 28 at Clearwater starting at 5:30 p.m. Regular season opens Friday, December 1 with JV at 4:30 p.m. and varsity at 6:00.