• Catching Up With Coach Steph

Sports

Catching Up With Coach Steph

• Swinging for Success

Sports

Swinging for Success

• Food So Good Youll Be Flocking To It: Slim Chickens Restaurant Review

Food So Good You’ll Be Flocking To It: Slim Chickens Restaurant Review

• Behind the Whistle: Q&A with Coach Ast

Behind the Whistle: Q&A with Coach Ast

• Brunins Family Café

Brunin’s Family Café

• Unwrapping Flavor: Chipotle Taste Test & Review Experience

Unwrapping Flavor: Chipotle Taste Test & Review Experience

• Andale Boys Secure Fourth Place with a Stellar Bowling Performance

Sports

Andale Boys Secure Fourth Place with a Stellar Bowling Performance

• Stepping Up to the Plate with Paxton Spexarth

Sports

Stepping Up to the Plate with Paxton Spexarth

• Teacher Tales: An Exclusive Interview with Mrs. Bruna

Teacher Tales: An Exclusive Interview with Mrs. Bruna

• Exclusive Interview with Katlyn Papadelis

Sports

Exclusive Interview with Katlyn Papadelis

Irv Schueller Long Time Science Teacher and Golf Coach

Irv Schueller a former Garden Plain High School teacher now teaching science at Andale High School, is also a golf coach for Andale and Garden Plain High School. Schueller has been in the teaching career in Renwick for 17 years. Schueller’s first six years was at Garden Plain, then about five years between the Andale and GP, and finally 5 or 6 just at Andale. The biggest difference teaching at Garden Plain then at Andale was his daily 12 mile commute to GP. Other than that the kids and parents were great at both schools. The reason why Schueller likes to teach science is because it’s interesting and likes teaching something that is interesting.

As for golf Coach Schueller enjoys all the kids that go out for golf and how he gets to teach them one of the greatest games ever. During the summer Schueller loves how all the little kids show up and have fun playing the game at golf camp. One of the hardest things about Renwick golf, Coach Schueller says, is  how the only close golf course for our Renwick team is at Cheney which is a 30 min drive every day. Getting kids to play golf is hard enough, but then you add in a daily commute.

Coach Lance Reid, the JV golf coach, Schueller said is the best coach for the job and the best assistant coach in the state. Schueller didn’t learn how to play golf on his own it was his basketball coach that taught him in high school. His coach said to go out for golf as a junior in high school and has golfed ever since.

Schueller doesn’t just golf he also has a passion for cycling, Schueller and his son Cavan, participated in Bike Across Kansas over the summer. Schueller said it was one of the greatest experiences he’s been apart of. Their bike ride took a week to complete, and about 65 miles a day which equated to 520 miles in total. Every night Schueller and his son Cavan spent the night in little Kansas towns. The preparation for Schueller was just from all the years that he has been cycling leading up to that point. They had to train his son Cavan for a year before he could Bike Across Kansas. Cavan’s training paid off, but unfortunately had a bumpy start as he was sick the first day. Cavan ended up throwing up 30 miles into the first ride and took a little break, and then continued on another 35 miles to end the first day. After a rough first day the next day was much more smoother for Cavan and he toughed it out the rest of the way.

Schueller a teacher of many trades continues to make an impact in our district and has clearly picked up some great hobbies!