• Unveiling Mr Hagemans Career: From Inspiration to Impact

Unveiling Mr Hageman’s Career: From Inspiration to Impact

• St. Marks Science Teacher: Mrs. Dansel

St. Mark’s Science Teacher: Mrs. Dansel

• Discover the Hidden Paradise: Exploring the Garden of Eden in Kansas

Discover the Hidden Paradise: Exploring the Garden of Eden in Kansas

• Aria Pearce: The Kansas Comet

Aria Pearce: The Kansas Comet

• Famous from Kansas

Famous from Kansas

• The Rise of KC Current: New Professional Womens Soccer Team

The Rise of KC Current: New Professional Women’s Soccer Team

• The Big Well

The Big Well

• Get Your Boots On for the PBR Pendleton Whisky Velocity Tour Showdown

Get Your Boots On for the PBR Pendleton Whisky Velocity Tour Showdown

• Darkness Descending: The Greensburg, KS Tornado

Darkness Descending: The Greensburg, KS Tornado

• Get to Know Tanganyika Wildlife Park and Water Park

Get to Know Tanganyika Wildlife Park and Water Park

Guiding the Team to Greatness: All About Andale’s New Softball Coach Erin Carney

Behind every successful sports team is a dedicated coach who goes above and beyond to shape their players into champions. For the Andale/Garden Plain softball team, this coach is Erin Carney. Carney is new to the district this year after replacing the previous head coach Chuck Schroeder at the beginning of the season. I interviewed Coach Carney to help people get to know her a little bit more. Come along as we explore her journey to become a coach and her life outside of softball.

Erin Carney is 31 years old. She grew up locally in St. Mark’s where she attended elementary school. She then moved on to Andale High School where she played softball for Coach Doris Hein. After high school, Erin went on to play softball at Wichita State University for 5 years, where she earned her bachelor’s degree in K-12 Physical Education.

Carney has been coaching at the high school level as both a head and assistant coach for 9 years. She also managed to rack up many of her own impressive achievements in softball. During her time playing for Andale, the softball team went 90-10 and went to state all four years Erin played. Erin’s teams won two state titles, one in 2008 and one in 2010. The team took 2nd in 2009 and 4th in 2007.  Coach Carney was selected for the All-Metro team in 2010 as well as the All-State team in 2008 and 2010. When asked why she became a softball coach, Carney said, “I have a lot of knowledge and experience with the game and wanted to give back to my community the way that coaches and teachers did for me in the past.”

Coach Carney’s life isn’t just softball, though. She currently resides in Wichita, Kansas. On top of her coaching job, Carney teaches elementary physical education for Goddard schools. In her limited down time, Erin enjoys spending time with her friends and family, catching up on her favorite TV shows, and listening to music or podcasts. She also gives private softball lessons on the side.

One thing she loves about coaching at Andale is the community’s traditions. She said, “These kids know what it takes to win and are willing to put in the work to get better.” Carney thinks the most important quality for her players to exhibit is being coachable, as coaches are much more willing to invest their time and energy into a kid who wants to be there and will listen to what you have to say. She thinks the best way a softball player can improve across the board is by being a student of the game and watching lots of softball on TV and in-person. “I can’t teach instincts, but the most successful players show up prepared and learn from their mistakes quickly.”

Coach Carney’s dedication, leadership, and positive influence on her players is something we should all celebrate. Her passion for softball and commitment to her team is evident in every aspect of her coaching. Carney is a true role model, not only creating skilled athletes, but also promoting good character, teamwork, and resilience in her players. It’s coaches like her who leave a lasting impact on their player’s love of the game. Thank you, Erin Carney, for being an extraordinary leader in the world of softball.