• St. Marks Sprint to Success

St. Mark’s Sprint to Success

• Unlocking Success: The Journey of Michelle Shackelford

Unlocking Success: The Journey of Michelle Shackelford

• Samson and Philomena Sadiqs Journey to America

Samson and Philomena Sadiq’s Journey to America

• 8th Grade Promotion Information

8th Grade Promotion Information

• Emery Park Pond

Spring Fishing In Sedgwick County

• The Bretthauer Empire: Cutterz Lawn Care

The Bretthauer Empire: Cutterz Lawn Care

• Reflecting on a Legacy: Honoring Becky Strunks Retirement

Reflecting on a Legacy: Honoring Becky Strunk’s Retirement

Blooming Wonders In Botanica, KS

Blooming Wonders In Botanica, KS

Botanica is located in Wichita, KS. It opened to the public in May 1987 to generate enthusiasm for horticulture and enlighten people through educational, artistic, and cultural experiences. With this mission, Botanica’s gardens and programs expand public awareness of horticulture, educate Kansans about how nature can improve their daily lives, and assist in the promotion of community development. Botanica does many different things, they have a beautiful garden in the summer. In the Winter they create this beautiful light show for you to walk around and see.

In 1982, the Wichita Area Garden Council joined forces with the City of Wichita with a unified vision to provide area residents with a center for enjoyment and education within a landscape garden setting. For the next three years, plans were formed for the establishment of Botanica as the community center for horticulture. With the assistance of the Wichita Park Board site selection, building plans, and methods of funding were secured and finalized. Ground was finally broken in September of 1985 and nearly 2 years later, the group’s vision for Wichita had become true.

In the Winter they include more than 2 million lights incorporated into various displays. There are multiple light displays that are choreographed to music. Candy cane lane, tree top forest in the Butterfly house. A funky tree that takes 80 hours to adorn with light sculptures, Santa’s village, and many more. The gardens staff and volunteers find new ways to add more lights and displays every year to make it more exciting. But they do keep some things that they had previous years so people can come back and see their favorites again.

Since its opening with only four gardens and a library, Botanica has added 30 additional themed gardens and exhibits. This botanical paradise on the plains comprises over 18 acres of stunning garden scaping that features over 4,000 species of plants both native and new to the region. All gardens are designed to emphasize collections in display settings that feature plants particularly in well-suited to south-central Kansas. Display gardens, an evaluation garden has been added for this specific purpose of introducing and evaluating plants that may be suited to the region. The Gardens are decorated with a collection of 50 elegant sculptures, flowing streams, fountains, and waterfalls that complement the beauty and love for plants.

Botanica Garden, is a beautiful place to visit if you never have. Or if you’re just bored and love flowers you need to check it out. It is opened year round and do you every wonder what they all have? In spring more than 50,000 tulip bulbs and 120,000 daffodil bulbs bloom along with an assortment of wildflowers and flowering shrubs. Later bloomers include azaleas, irises, roses, peonies, and other perennials. More than 20,000 annuals combine with beautiful perennial color in the summer along with beautiful prairie wildflowers. In autumn, you’ll find asters, liriope, sedum, and more than 5,500 chrysanthemums amongst the backdrop of fall color from trees and shrubs. In winter, The Gardens feature 12,000 pansies, red-twig dogwood, witch hazel, and berried hollies. It really is beautiful so you should check it out and tell me how it is!