• Catching Up With Coach Steph

Sports

Catching Up With Coach Steph

• Swinging for Success

Sports

Swinging for Success

• Food So Good Youll Be Flocking To It: Slim Chickens Restaurant Review

Food So Good You’ll Be Flocking To It: Slim Chickens Restaurant Review

• Behind the Whistle: Q&A with Coach Ast

Behind the Whistle: Q&A with Coach Ast

• Brunins Family Café

Brunin’s Family Café

• Unwrapping Flavor: Chipotle Taste Test & Review Experience

Unwrapping Flavor: Chipotle Taste Test & Review Experience

• Andale Boys Secure Fourth Place with a Stellar Bowling Performance

Sports

Andale Boys Secure Fourth Place with a Stellar Bowling Performance

• Stepping Up to the Plate with Paxton Spexarth

Sports

Stepping Up to the Plate with Paxton Spexarth

• Teacher Tales: An Exclusive Interview with Mrs. Bruna

Teacher Tales: An Exclusive Interview with Mrs. Bruna

• Exclusive Interview with Katlyn Papadelis

Sports

Exclusive Interview with Katlyn Papadelis

The Waterboy

The+Waterboy
John Bloomquist

Everyone loves to see their favorite athletes on the field, but it is important to recognize the people doing work off the field. Garden Plain has waterboys ranging from third grade all of the way up to fifth. They are hard little workers, and are always looking to help out the athletes. 

Callahan Baker, is a sixth grader at Garden Plain Elementary. His brother, Cooper, is a sophomore running back and linebacker on the team. He loves hanging out with his fellow classmates who help with the team.   

Simon Eck, is also a sixth grader. His older brother, Eli, plays quarterback and safety for the Owls. He loves everything about sports, but his favorite part about the job is talking to the older kids. While football isn’t his favorite sport, he enjoys spending time with the team.

Brothers Titus and Tiernan Gallagher, are also on the young waterboy staff. Their older brother, Taegen, graduated from Garden Plain in the class of 2023. Titus is the youngest on the crew, but makes up for it with his energy. He is known for hyping up the student section, and outfits containing headbands and arm sleeves. Tiernan is one of the most mature fifth graders you will ever meet. This is why has been bestowed as the team’s ball boy. 

Also on the unit are brothers Braxton and Briar Randolph. They are the youngest sons of defensive back’s coach Brent Randolph. Their older brother, Brock, plays on the middle school team at Garden Plain. The two are very hard workers, and run everywhere to make sure the players stay hydrated. Their dad keeps them working hard, and even includes them in some of the drills. 

Hudson Wallis, is another youngster that helps out the team. While he is very quiet, he loves to help out when he can. Somehow, his bottles seem to never be empty. He hustles everywhere he goes and is a big addition to the Owls team.

A big help this year is the addition of the Waterboy. With its 55 gallon tank, and large wheels, it is a huge addition and helps the players get fresh, cold water. The tank lasts both the middle and high school team an entire practice and then some. 

These little helpers are always caught up in the classroom, and if they miss an away game, can pick up right where they were when they get back. These are qualities that any coach looks for in an athlete. You’re a student before you’re an athlete. These kids definitely know the difference. 

The players and coaches are extremely grateful for their help. “It’s great having them out here. Being able to get our player’s water as quick as we do is a huge help,” says junior starting quarterback Brady Brack. “Not having to take time out of our practice to get water is huge. Now we can fit a couple more drills into our practices. Having water on the sideline on Friday nights is a big help too.” To say the least, the Owls are very grateful for these little helpers.