CNC Project Made By Richeson for the Booster Club

The Best of Both Worlds; Cam & Carpentry

Find out more about these two classes at AHS

Are you an Andale High School student and want to take Cam or Carpentry, but not quite convinced yet?  Robert Richeson, a long time teacher at AHS, teaches both Cam and Carpentry. Richeson has spent nearly his entire teaching career at Andale High School with an impressive 29 years at AHS. One of the reasons Richeson believes students should take these courses because “It’s a class that is for students who like to move around, with minimal lecture time, and for students who like to problem solve”. Both of these classes are offered in the Fall and Spring Semester and are both taught by Richeson. Carpentry offers a one and two level as well as the Cam course.

CNC Machine

Cam (Computer-aided Manufacturing) is the use of software to automate manufacturing processes.  Cam uses software to translate CAD designs and translates them into instructions for CNC machines to use to create your design. CNC machines use an item called “G code” to instruct the machine where to cut and what to do. Richeson first started learning about a system similar to CAD using a Cartesian Coordinate System since 1990. With the help of Mrs. Michelle Shackelford, Principal at Andale High School, he made a trip to Utah where he was able to participate in training sessions to help him further understand the use of CNC machines.

Cody Engelbrecht’s Poker Table

Carpentry is a very skilled craft, and it’s safe to say it’s a very popular one with almost 690,000 carpenters in the U.S. work on measuring, cutting, and shaping materials for their projects. Carpenters do many skilled tasks such as installing roofs, floors, walls, and many things that go into the framework of a house. There are many skills, some basic skills you will learn in Richeson’s carpentry class are the ability to be on time, safety, and work ethic.

Both the Cam and Carpentry classes have sold several projects to the public including two sheds, a chicken coop, and a couple of dog houses. One of Richeson’s favorite projects to do is place metal inlay inside a wood design. Uniquely, Austin Sobba was the first person at Andale High School to make a project of that nature. Richeson’s favorite project that a student has completed, includes Cody Engelbrecht poker table because, it was all drawn on computer, he drew everything the way he wanted to do it, then they arrayed it 8 times and each piece was then assembled and put together. Some future projects Richeson plans on completing next semester include a shed in Carpentry for Colwich, and cutting boards in Cam.