Principal Perspective

Andale & Garden Plain High School’s

Most of you may know our Garden Plain and Andale High School principal. But, do you know what their life is like outside of running our school? Well, if not, I’m here to share with you the great things they do beyond our high school doors. From walking the halls of our high schools to the halls of their homes they’re critical pieces of our success

Mrs. Shackelford has been principal of Andale High School for the past seven years. However, she was also a middle school math teacher for 21 years, teaching at both Colwich Elementary and Wilbur (USD 259). Mrs. Shack also has 3 kids, Adam, Ethan and Isabel, all of which have graduated from Andale High. Shackelford or “Shack” as we call her says her favorite part about being principal at Andale is getting to see the growth in students, and how much they accomplish from their freshman to senior year. Being principal at Andale has always been one of Mrs. Shacks dreams. She became principal at AHS because of our high expectations and great families. In her free time Mrs. Shack loves to spend time with her family, watch and attend sporting events, and cook. Her advice for all the high school students is to BE INVOLVED. You will have a much better high school experience if you get involved.

Another district principal I interviewed was Mr. Kasselman, the current GPHS principal. Mr. Kasselman has taught for 16 years. He spent six  years at Atchison High School and 10 years as a social studies teacher at Garden Plain High School. Following the completion of his social studies teaching career Kasselman has spent the past six years as principal of Garden Plain High School now having spent a total of 16 years at GPHS. Along with being a principal, Mr. Kasselman is also a father of five kids. One of which goes to Garden Plain High School. The other four Kasselman children attend Garden Plain Middle and Elementary School. Kasselman says he became principal of Garden Plain High because of his love for teaching and was ready for a new challenge. When Mr. Kasselman isn’t chasing kids around he loves to spend his free time golfing, fishing, and hunting. His advice to all high school students and parents is that it’s okay to fail. All over the world we believe that we can’t fail and that we have to do everything, but in the words of Mr. Kasselman, “Failure is your greatest teacher.”

Why are principals an important part of our society? Principals are an important part of our society because they not only help student achievement, but also, help teachers feel valued and safe. Many studies have shown that principals help students believe in their individual effort that will lead them to their academic goals. In conclusion, however, always remember as a high school student or parent even to get involved whether that’s in clubs, school, sports, or even just your community, get involved, do something. And always remember even when you fail keep going. You have to be able to handle the hard, no matter how challenging it may be.