• Unveiling Mr Hagemans Career: From Inspiration to Impact

Unveiling Mr Hageman’s Career: From Inspiration to Impact

• St. Marks Science Teacher: Mrs. Dansel

St. Mark’s Science Teacher: Mrs. Dansel

• Discover the Hidden Paradise: Exploring the Garden of Eden in Kansas

Discover the Hidden Paradise: Exploring the Garden of Eden in Kansas

• Aria Pearce: The Kansas Comet

Aria Pearce: The Kansas Comet

• Famous from Kansas

Famous from Kansas

• The Rise of KC Current: New Professional Womens Soccer Team

The Rise of KC Current: New Professional Women’s Soccer Team

• The Big Well

The Big Well

• Get Your Boots On for the PBR Pendleton Whisky Velocity Tour Showdown

Get Your Boots On for the PBR Pendleton Whisky Velocity Tour Showdown

• Darkness Descending: The Greensburg, KS Tornado

Darkness Descending: The Greensburg, KS Tornado

• Get to Know Tanganyika Wildlife Park and Water Park

Get to Know Tanganyika Wildlife Park and Water Park

Aiming High: The Andale High School Trap Team

As the weather gets warmer, and the sun stays up longer, most people start to look forward to the flowers, vacations, and weather that spring delivers. For these high school students, however, the most important thing in spring is the beginning of the trap shooting season.

Trap shooting is one of the most popular clay pigeon shooting sports in the world. The goal of the game is to break as many birds as you can at each of the five stations. There are five birds at each station so a perfect score for one round would be 25/25. The clays are released from a machine called a trap that is typically 16 yards in front of the shooter. When the shooter gives the person running the trap the indication to release a clay (usually by saying “pull”) they press a button that releases the bird. One of the engaging things about trap shooting is that the shooter doesn’t know what direction the bird will go. Some will be straight and others will go left or right. The shooter has to react quickly to the bird’s direction and try to shoot it. The gauges most commonly used for trap are 20 and 12 gauges, but many people use different guns based on lighter recoil or shooting experience. If the shooter breaks the clay, the clay will break or seem to disappear if it was a really good shot.

The Andale Trap Shooting team was started in spring of 2023. The coaches include Jimmy Aylward and Jay Schroeder. There are actually two seasons for trap, one in the spring and one in the fall. Each season is only about 8 weeks long. Andale’s trap practices usually take place on Sunday afternoons but this is often subject to change. There are lots of people signed up so groups are assigned based on performance. Each group will meet at practice at their set time, and they will shoot one round. Then, the next group will go. Practice is over when your group has shot two rounds.¬†For practice, you must have your gun, headphones/earplugs, safety glasses, and shells for your gun if it is a special gauge that the school doesn’t provide.

Trap shooting is a sport that is very beneficial to kids. It requires them to develop good focus, concentration, and hand-eye coordination. Also, every member of the Andale trap team is required to have their hunter’s safety license first, which promotes firearm safety and instills responsibility. Trap practices are a great opportunity to get outside, engage in challenges, and see your friends. Youth trap shooting has a positive impact on kids’ confidence and teaches them how to deal with struggle. It improves emotional discipline and teaches them to control their feelings.

Trap shooting is a great sport with benefits for youths and adults alike. With the thrill of the challenge, skill required, and the joy of hitting your mark, trap is fun and addictive. So whether you’re an experienced trap shooter or just starting out, consider checking out Andale trap shooting to experience it all firsthand!