• Catching Up With Coach Steph

Sports

Catching Up With Coach Steph

• Swinging for Success

Sports

Swinging for Success

• Food So Good Youll Be Flocking To It: Slim Chickens Restaurant Review

Food So Good You’ll Be Flocking To It: Slim Chickens Restaurant Review

• Behind the Whistle: Q&A with Coach Ast

Behind the Whistle: Q&A with Coach Ast

• Brunins Family Café

Brunin’s Family Café

• Unwrapping Flavor: Chipotle Taste Test & Review Experience

Unwrapping Flavor: Chipotle Taste Test & Review Experience

• Andale Boys Secure Fourth Place with a Stellar Bowling Performance

Sports

Andale Boys Secure Fourth Place with a Stellar Bowling Performance

• Stepping Up to the Plate with Paxton Spexarth

Sports

Stepping Up to the Plate with Paxton Spexarth

• Teacher Tales: An Exclusive Interview with Mrs. Bruna

Teacher Tales: An Exclusive Interview with Mrs. Bruna

• Exclusive Interview with Katlyn Papadelis

Sports

Exclusive Interview with Katlyn Papadelis

The Boys of Fall

Milt Mounts

The Garden Plain Owls look to kickoff their 2023-24 campaign with a win this week against Conway Springs. The Owls, with head coach Todd Rice, look to improve on a subpar record last season. With a revamped defense, and eight returning offensive starters, a deep run in the playoffs could be in store for GP. 

The game will be played on Thursday, August 31, due to a lack of referees. This is very rare, and will definitely be a different environment for both teams. It will be a game to see, as both of these teams are ranked toward the top of the Central Plains League. This early season game is sure to be a battle. It is one of many great games we will see week one of the fall season. 

Garden Plain is led by captains Jaxson Bolinger (Senior) and Aden Stuhlsatz (Senior). Both were key contributors to the program last season, and have great leadership on and off the field. “I think they make great captains for a lot of reasons. They are both two way starters, which is a big help. They have both been multiple year players at the varsity level. They lead not only vocally but by example. They have been in the program for 4 years, and have seen the good, bad, and ugly our program has to offer,” says Senior left guard Mason Hohesiel. 

“Our leadership is still developing. We have great senior leaders, and our juniors have the potential to be great leaders next year,” says Junior two-way starter Seth Dugan. “We need to improve on being positive, and coaching each other up. Seeing the seniors coach up the freshmen is a huge key to our future success.”

Offensive Coordinator Corey Brack, says he wants to see everyone take on a leadership role in the program. “As coaches, we set a high standard for our team. It is hard to keep the team at such a high standard without leadership. We expect all of our players to be leaders on and off the field.”

The Owls will need to be prepared as their week one opponent is no easy matchup. Conway Springs returns multiple starters on both sides of the ball. Garden Plain has emphasized playing together, rallying to the ball, and not falling for the eye candy some of the Cardinals plays present. 

Conway Springs is known for their tackle over look, and prides themselves on their run game. Class of 2024 running back, Brayden Kunz, is one of the top backs in the state. Visiting many Division I schools, he is most likely college bound. Kunz will definitely be a challenge in the Owls home opener. 

Senior two-way starter Ty Scheer said, “The key to us winning is fundamental tackling. Kunz is unlike any other running back we will play.” Scheer also said, “We also need to establish the run game early, and set the tone.” 

The Owls leadership and pride fuel this young Garden Plain team, as they gear up for their tough week one matchup. This rare Thursday Night clash, will be a great game to come out and see as the Garden Plain Owls take on Conway Springs Cardinals (Ranked no. 4 in the state in class 1A according to MaxPreps).