• Andale/GP: Pros and Cons of The Merge

Andale/GP: Pros and Cons of The Merge

• State Band Results: The Highlights and Beyond

Fine Arts

State Band Results: The Highlights and Beyond

• The Continued Athletic Career Of Jenna Kuepker

The Continued Athletic Career Of Jenna Kuepker

• Renwicks Pride: The Inspiring Journey of Alumni Gwen Martin

Renwick’s Pride: The Inspiring Journey of Alumni Gwen Martin

• Andale Youth Track; A System That Builds Athletes.

Andale Youth Track; A System That Builds Athletes.

• Celebrating Success Beyond Graduation with McKenzie Fairchild

Celebrating Success Beyond Graduation with McKenzie Fairchild

• The Kansas Speedway

The Kansas Speedway

Unsung Heroes: The Lives of Andale Elementary Secretaries

Getting to know AES secretaries, Jeanann Reichenberger and Lisa Klabo
Jeanann Reichenberger (left) and Lisa Klabo (right)

Every kid at Andale Elementary knows who their secretaries are. They know that those are the two nice ladies at the front desk who smile, check them in and out, and help them with their passwords or other information. But what are their responsibilities? Why do they do it? And what are their lives like outside of school?  I sat down with Lisa Klabo and Jeanann Reichenberger to get to know them beyond just their jobs. Here’s what I found out.

Jeanann Reichenberger-more commonly regarded by the students of AES as Jeanann- grew up in St. Marks, KS with her eight brothers and sisters. She attended St. Marks Elementary and Andale High School. After graduating from college she went into banking where she got her first job as a teller. Jeanann then got into loan operations, investment banking, and finally wealth management. She became a secretary to be closer to her family and home. She currently lives right outside of Andale with her husband and 6 kids who range in age from 13-31. When asked who the most influential people in her life have been, she said her parents, as they carry a lot of wisdom with them. When she’s not working, Jeanann enjoys traveling. Her family has two cabins in different parts of Kansas where she enjoys spending time. She’s a talented distance runner having run 3-half marathons. Jeanann said the most rewarding thing about her position is the kids. She was recently gone for a week from school and upon returning, a kindergartner gave her a big hug and told her she missed her.

Lisa Klabo grew up in Hamilton, Montana with her two sisters. She worked in insurance for several years and then moved to Andale around 2014 where she became an AES secretary. Her family moved to Minnesota for a few years but came back to Andale in 2021 where she’s lived and worked since. This will be Lisa’s 10th year working in a school. Lisa became a secretary because the schedule is flexible enough so she can spend lots of time with her kids and be close to her family. She has two kids who attended Andale Elementary, and currently attend Andale High School. Lisa identified her parents as the most influential people in her life as she spent so much time with them. She loves spending time outside and exercising any way she can. You may see her walking her dogs, riding her bike, or going for a jog around town. Lisa has an impressive 13 half-marathons under her belt as well as one full marathon and even a triathlon! Her family also enjoys boating at the lake. For Lisa, the biggest reward of her job is the little things the kids say and do that make her day.

Our AES secretaries handle a lot more than you might think. They are in charge of attendance, which requires them to know where every student is from the time school starts to the time it lets out. If someone else isn’t available to handle a situation, sometimes they have to step in. Lisa has had to cut Ticky Tac out of a boy’s hair before and Jeanann recently killed a mouse with a golf club. Secretaries often play the jack of all trades. A big part of their day consists of answering emails and helping faculty and parents with any questions or problems they may have.

Both Lisa and Jeanann love working with kids. Even though their jobs may sometimes be challenging, they think it is well worth it to watch kids grow up and turn into the amazing people they are going to be. So next time you see your secretaries, consider thanking them for all they do.