• Catching Up With Coach Steph

Sports

Catching Up With Coach Steph

• Swinging for Success

Sports

Swinging for Success

• Food So Good Youll Be Flocking To It: Slim Chickens Restaurant Review

Food So Good You’ll Be Flocking To It: Slim Chickens Restaurant Review

• Behind the Whistle: Q&A with Coach Ast

Behind the Whistle: Q&A with Coach Ast

• Brunins Family Café

Brunin’s Family Café

• Unwrapping Flavor: Chipotle Taste Test & Review Experience

Unwrapping Flavor: Chipotle Taste Test & Review Experience

• Andale Boys Secure Fourth Place with a Stellar Bowling Performance

Sports

Andale Boys Secure Fourth Place with a Stellar Bowling Performance

• Stepping Up to the Plate with Paxton Spexarth

Sports

Stepping Up to the Plate with Paxton Spexarth

• Teacher Tales: An Exclusive Interview with Mrs. Bruna

Teacher Tales: An Exclusive Interview with Mrs. Bruna

• Exclusive Interview with Katlyn Papadelis

Sports

Exclusive Interview with Katlyn Papadelis

Local Family Buys Syl’s

Jay and Jamie Purkey take on another business, located in Colwich, Kansas.
Local Family Buys Syls

A recent purchase has been made in the business industry of Colwich. Mr. and Mrs. Purkey have big plans for their new and upcoming cafe. We asked them multiple questions on their thoughts and ideas about the new restaurant.

Jamie and Jay Purkey have been trying to buy commercial real estate in Colwich for a while. However, there has never been anything available. So when Syl’s was for sale they knew they had to buy it.  They have some very great ideas for their new business, one being the name for the restaurant which will be called “The Gathering Space.” Their motivation “feels very God driven,” says Jamie Purkey.

As of right now, they are thinking the business will be up and running by mid-November. It is taking a while due to lots of renovating inside the building. Their plan and idea when making this restaurant is to have a coffee shop and a place for people to hangout and eat. They are most excited to give the community a place to hangout with one another. They hope to have a full event calendar of different activities, such as community cleanup, movie nights and bible studies. 

We asked this couple where they think the Gathering Space will be in five years. Jamie  said she hopes her oldest daughter and her friends will be mature enough to run the cafe, and she also hopes that it will be more of a restaurant than it is now. When they open, they will only be using a buffet bar and will not have an open menu or full-weight staff. As of right now, they hope to be open from about 6 a.m. to 11 a.m., close it up for a few hours during the day, and then remain open from 3 p.m. to 9 p.m.

The Purkeys are very excited about their new business and so are we. Make sure to check out the Gathering Space later this year in Colwich.