• Andale/GP: Pros and Cons of The Merge

Andale/GP: Pros and Cons of The Merge

• State Band Results: The Highlights and Beyond

Fine Arts

State Band Results: The Highlights and Beyond

• The Continued Athletic Career Of Jenna Kuepker

The Continued Athletic Career Of Jenna Kuepker

• Renwicks Pride: The Inspiring Journey of Alumni Gwen Martin

Renwick’s Pride: The Inspiring Journey of Alumni Gwen Martin

• Andale Youth Track; A System That Builds Athletes.

Andale Youth Track; A System That Builds Athletes.

• Celebrating Success Beyond Graduation with McKenzie Fairchild

Celebrating Success Beyond Graduation with McKenzie Fairchild

• The Kansas Speedway

The Kansas Speedway

District Champs

District+Champs
John Bloomquist

In one of the biggest games in the state, the Garden Plain Owls were able to take down the Kingman Eagles. The win marks the 6th in a row for the Owls, and earned them a district championship. 

Mistakes were the story of the first half for the Owls. After a fumble on a snap exchange, Kingman marched 35 yards for the first score of the game. A fumble from quarterback Brady Brack in the second quarter was returned 82 yards for a touchdown. 

Late in the second quarter, the Owls were able to finally get on the scoreboard putting them within one score. Only a few plays later, the Eagles were right back in the endzone, scoring their third touchdown of the first half. 

Going into halftime, Kingman led 19-6. Garden Plain was stunned, as they have led in every game since their loss against Cheney. Coaches were not happy with the team’s performance to say the least.

Coming out of the locker room, there seemed to be a new level of energy in the team. Taking it one play at a time, the GP managed to force a punt on the Eagles opening drive of the second half.

A few plays later, Garden Plain was able to find pay dirt. Senior running back Gage Lee found the endzone on a 25 yard run. The sideline erupted as not all hope was lost for the Owls. Garden Plain drew one step closer making the score 13-19. 

On the ensuing defensive drive, Cooper Scheer recovered a fumble and returned it 84 yards for a touchdown. Unfortunately, the play was called back due to a flag. Nevertheless, the Owls had great field position.

Later, Gage Lee would find the endzone yet again. Scoring his second of three touchdowns, the stadium was buzzing. Garden Plain had come from down 13 points to take the lead. 

Kingman would not back down, as they marched the ball down the field deep into Garden Plain territory. They would end up scoring, taking the lead back 20-25 with only a few minutes left.

The Owls prepared all week for situations like this, and were very calm in crunch time. After taking a sack, the Owls put the ball in star running back Gage Lee’s hands. He broke numerous tackles, and rushed for his longest touchdown on the night. After an extra point by junior Seth Dugan, the Owls were back in the driver seat leading 28-25 over the Eagles. 

Playing with their backup quarterback Tristen Davidson, after the starter was knocked out of the game, Kingman was forced to try the Owls deep. After a couple plays, the Eagles were in field goal range with a chance to tie the game. 

Kingman took a deep shot to their star wideout Carter Helm, looking to win in regulation. Time seemed to freeze when the ball left Davidson’s hand. 

Junior Cooper Scheer was the first to make a break on the ball. Helm, the 5’11” receiver, was closing on the ball as well. As the ball neared, the two jumped to make a play on the ball. Both players knew if they came down with the ball their team had an amazing chance to win. 

Scheer wrestled the ball out of Helm’s hands, and the home crowd erupted. An interception sealed the game for the Owls, and it was time to celebrate. Cooper was in shock when he came back to the sideline, and received praise from coaches and teammates. 

Gage Lee had another big game, rushing for 279 yards and 3 touchdowns. He is one of the best running backs in Kansas. His game Friday night was just adding to his outstanding Senior year.

It was truly an outstanding second half performance for the Owls. The win included many great accomplishments Friday night. Not only did they extend their win streak to six games, they became district champions, and earned a home game in the first round of the playoffs. They outscored district opponents 166-51, and averaged 41.5 points per game. 

Their matchup this week is against the Halstead Dragons, who are 3-5 this season. Hopefully the Owls can continue to play their unique style of football, and make it into the second round this year.

Garden Plain hosted a preseason jamboree this year, and among the four teams there were the Halstead Dragons. Head Coach Todd Rice told his players that they might see them down the line. Whether the team played at home or at their place, was all up to the players. Needless to say, the players answered the call. Earning the top seed in their side of the bracket, they are a team flying way under the radar this season. 

Last season the Owls were paired up against Ellsworth. In the matchup, the Owls were without two starters due to undisclosed reasons. Garden Plain struggled to move the ball, and would fall to the Bearcats 21-7. 

This year with a revamped offense and new defensive schemes, they have a great chance to make a deep run this season. Halstead is no. 4 in District 5 of 2A, but definitely poses a challenge for the Owls. Garden Plain invites everyone out to the game, and hopes to have a full house for their round one matchup against Halstead. 

View Comments (1)
$225
$1000