• Andale/GP: Pros and Cons of The Merge

Andale/GP: Pros and Cons of The Merge

• State Band Results: The Highlights and Beyond

Fine Arts

State Band Results: The Highlights and Beyond

• The Continued Athletic Career Of Jenna Kuepker

The Continued Athletic Career Of Jenna Kuepker

• Renwicks Pride: The Inspiring Journey of Alumni Gwen Martin

Renwick’s Pride: The Inspiring Journey of Alumni Gwen Martin

• Andale Youth Track; A System That Builds Athletes.

Andale Youth Track; A System That Builds Athletes.

• Celebrating Success Beyond Graduation with McKenzie Fairchild

Celebrating Success Beyond Graduation with McKenzie Fairchild

• The Kansas Speedway

The Kansas Speedway

Basketball Buzz

Basketball+Buzz
John Bloomquist

Basketball is now in full swing across the state, as the state football championships were played this weekend. The Owls already have two weeks of practice under their belt and a jamboree as well. They are very confident going into their first matchup against the Trinity Knights. 

In their jamboree on Monday, the Owls took on the 4A Clearwater Indians, and the 5A Goddard Lions. All three levels were able to get up and down in a scrimmage against both teams. The Owls varsity won 21-20 against the Indians of Clearwater, and took down the Goddard Lions 25-23 as well in these modified games. The JV and C team’s both got in on the action, going a combined 3-1 against the visiting teams. For the scrimmage, the Varsity and JV played one 8 minute quarter and one 4 minute quarter. The C-team got to play one 10 minute quarter, which really helped the younger players get a feel for what high school basketball will be like.  

Injuries have hurt the Owls in both football and the start of this year’s basketball season. A number of players are struggling with injuries to their lower body. As a solution, players are wearing braces and compression sleeves to help limit the chance of reinjury. Junior Kaeden Kasselman has been battling an ankle injury since the Owls week two football matchup against the Cheney Cardinals. He returned to practice for the first time only a couple days ago. This leaves question as to how head coach Mark Powell will be able to use the 6 ‘4” post player on Friday. Another post player, Brady Brack, may need an operation on his knee. This operation could range anywhere from four weeks to over a year. Brack hopes to make a speedy recovery if surgery is necessary as he looks to earn a scholarship at quarterback for the Owls next season.  Several of the guards for the Owls are suffering from ankle, calf, and knee injuries as well.

Garden Plain will have a new face coaching the JV this year, as coach Jon Peck looks to write the Owls sub .500 JV record last season. He has already made connections with his players, and has a feel for their play style. Friday, he will get a little better look at what each player brings to the table, and how he can use those skills to win games. He was able to get a win under his belt Monday night in the scrimmage, and loved how hard his players played regardless of the situation they found themselves in. 

In their opening regular season matchup, the Owls travel across town to take on the Trinity Knights. Last season, Garden Plain was 0-2 against the Knights. In their season opener last year, senior Drew Wertenberger torched the Owls for double digits and led Trinity to a 22 point win. In their second matchup, Wertenberger struggled with an injury to his knee and was less of a factor. Having said that the Knights still came from behind to beat the Owls 66-68. 

Key to success in this year’s matchup involves limiting turnovers and playing solid defense. Last year, the Owls averaged over 20 turnovers a game. Garden Plain is a visibly bigger and stronger team this year. Strength and conditioning coach Todd Rice has the Owls in great shape. Some players have put on over 15 pounds since last season and are continuing to grow. This Garden Plain team has everything they need to be successful, but have struggled closing out games. Head coach Mark Powell has done a lot of work with the team playing in different game situations at practice to prepare them for anything.

It is going to be a shootout Friday night in Wichita. Trinity and Garden Plain played a tight game last season, and faced each other several times this summer too. The Owls look to start their season off with a win on the road. Garden Plain invites everyone to make the trip to Trinity Academy to see the team in action.