• Greener Pastures: Transforming Landscapes with Graf Lawn Care

Greener Pastures: Transforming Landscapes with Graf Lawn Care

• Hutchinson Invitational Recap

Hutchinson Invitational Recap

• Revolutionizing Metal Fabrication: The Power And Precision of CNC Plasma Cutting Machines

Revolutionizing Metal Fabrication: The Power And Precision of CNC Plasma Cutting Machines

• Andale/GP: Pros and Cons of The Merge

Andale/GP: Pros and Cons of The Merge

• State Band Results: The Highlights and Beyond

Fine Arts

State Band Results: The Highlights and Beyond

• The Continued Athletic Career Of Jenna Kuepker

The Continued Athletic Career Of Jenna Kuepker

• Renwicks Pride: The Inspiring Journey of Alumni Gwen Martin

Renwick’s Pride: The Inspiring Journey of Alumni Gwen Martin

• Andale Youth Track; A System That Builds Athletes.

Andale Youth Track; A System That Builds Athletes.

• Celebrating Success Beyond Graduation with McKenzie Fairchild

Celebrating Success Beyond Graduation with McKenzie Fairchild

• The Kansas Speedway

The Kansas Speedway

Educator Insights with Mrs. Bergkamp

Teaching can be very hard to some people and may come very easy to others. That’s why today I asked Mrs. Bergkamp a couple of questions asking about her teaching experience and some of her favorite things about being a teacher and some of her least favorite things and many more. Mrs. Bergkamp has been teaching for 10 years, eight at the high school level and two at the community college level. Bergkamp was inspired to become a teacher because of her mom Mrs. Clark. She has continually shown what it takes to be a “next level” teacher. She has shown and demonstrated leadership year after year despite any setbacks she may have. “We need more teachers like her!” said Bergkamp.

Some of her favorite things about being a teacher is teaching the real world applicable material. Whether it’s cover letters and resumes to real world marketing material she enjoys seeing what students create. One of Bergkamp’s all time favorite things about being a teacher is being the internship coordinator. She had the opportunity to see a lot of student success beyond AHS and thanks to her internships seniors who have completed through her program. Some of her least favorite things about teaching has to be critics. “Sometimes you question whether what you’re doing is always “enough.” Sometimes the work load beyond hours can ware on you, but ultimately it pays off.” 

Next question I asked was if you could have picked any other job what would it be? Bergkamp said she’d either become an architectural interior designer or pilot.  That’s why she teaches so students don’t miss out on future opportunities that she never had while in school. Bergkamp never had the career guidance courses in high school or at the college level like we have now. Some of Mrs. Bergkamp’s favorite things about working here at Andale High School are the coaches across all sports that she works with. Bergkamp believes that all the coaches have similar mindsets and are willing to do what’s best for all programs at AHS not just their own.  

Not many teachers can create a positive learning environment for their students. So how does Mrs. Bergkamp create a positive learning environment in her classroom? She allows students to choose. “When they take power in their own learning it provides them a voice to learn.” She also provides flexible seating so they feel more comfortable with the learning environment. What are Bergs strategies that she uses to engage students and to make learning fun? She believes that you have to be excited about what you teach and give meaning to what your teaching. “When you can make real world connections and experiences I believe this is what brings light to students.”

Since summer is coming up I had to ask if she likes Summer break better or teaching. Bergkamp said that she enjoys both, while she knows a lot of people that say “well…teachers get the summers off”, but she believes that we have to have that off so burn out doesn’t happen more frequently. Summer allows you to reset your brain just like it does with students. In conclusion teachers are the architects of future generations. Shaping minds and hearts with dedication and passion. Their influence extends far beyond the classroom, nurturing a lifelong love for learning and a foundation for successes.