• Andale/GP: Pros and Cons of The Merge

Andale/GP: Pros and Cons of The Merge

• State Band Results: The Highlights and Beyond

Fine Arts

State Band Results: The Highlights and Beyond

• The Continued Athletic Career Of Jenna Kuepker

The Continued Athletic Career Of Jenna Kuepker

• Renwicks Pride: The Inspiring Journey of Alumni Gwen Martin

Renwick’s Pride: The Inspiring Journey of Alumni Gwen Martin

• Andale Youth Track; A System That Builds Athletes.

Andale Youth Track; A System That Builds Athletes.

• Celebrating Success Beyond Graduation with McKenzie Fairchild

Celebrating Success Beyond Graduation with McKenzie Fairchild

• The Kansas Speedway

The Kansas Speedway

Nothin’ But Success with Coach Schmidt

Dylan Schmidt, Andale’s head football coach and weights coach has been coaching for the past 16 years.  Starting in 2008.  Coach Schmidt placed third as a senior at the USA junior nationals in the pole vault, setting a school record of 16-1.50, and is a two-time 4A state champ in the pole vault.  Between looking up to his coaches, his experiences as a kid, and love for athletics inspired Schmidt to be a coach.

Coach Schmidt gets Andale’s teaching staff very evolved with the way he coaches.  The way he does this is he will have teachers write a weekly report on their students (mainly during football season) to ensure that his athletes are setting a good example.  Depending on some reports coach may have to take someone aside and get their side of the report.  Coach Schmidt thinks the best way to handle behavioral conflicts is straight on, and making sure that there is a clear line between right and wrong.  Schmidt believes that the most effective way to coach is being stern with a pat on the back.

Coach Schmidt can also be seen being engaged in some of his classes workouts.  He does it to practice what he preaches and to get into his students perspective, to kind of test how hard the workouts actually are.  Coaches way of setting up workouts are set to help balance between seniors and freshmen.  Lighter weight for the freshmen so they can better focus on form and heavier for the upper class men, who have already perfected their form.

When Coach was asked what are some important traits for an athlete, he answered with hard work, work ethic, positive attitude, and mentality.  Also when asked what advice would he would give to young coaches or people who are thinking about coaching, he responded with getting into better programs will get you to work with better people.  By standing next to his way of coaching, he has made Andale’s athletes some of the best in the state.

Information gathered from an interview with Dylan Schmidt.