• St. Marks Sprint to Success

St. Mark’s Sprint to Success

• Unlocking Success: The Journey of Michelle Shackelford

Unlocking Success: The Journey of Michelle Shackelford

• Samson and Philomena Sadiqs Journey to America

Samson and Philomena Sadiq’s Journey to America

• 8th Grade Promotion Information

8th Grade Promotion Information

• Emery Park Pond

Spring Fishing In Sedgwick County

• The Bretthauer Empire: Cutterz Lawn Care

The Bretthauer Empire: Cutterz Lawn Care

• Reflecting on a Legacy: Honoring Becky Strunks Retirement

Reflecting on a Legacy: Honoring Becky Strunk’s Retirement

Beau And Cali Kerschen Success After High School

Being a Division 1 athlete comes with a unique set of difficulties, including intense competition, rigorous training schedules, academic responsibilities, and the pressure to perform at a high level consistently. D1 athletes often have to balance demanding physical training with academic commitments, which can be mentally and physically taxing. Additionally, the expectations placed on D1 athletes by coaches, teammates, fans, and themselves can create a high-stress environment. It is important for D1 athletes to prioritize self-care, time management, and mental well-being to navigate these challenges successfully. Many people think about only the positives of being D1 till they realize how mentally draining it is. It is a tough role to fill and is not for the weak.

Two prior students of Andale who have become D1 athletes, are Beau and Cali Kerschen. The two siblings have put in many long strenuous hours to get to the level which they are at now. They have spent countless hours in the weight room and out on the track and field. From graduating Andale, they have both been able to receive a scholarship from WSU, where they are both currently participating in track and field. They are both enjoying the big environment and being able to meet so many new people while also expanding their abilities with such high level coaches. They are both also very smart kids, Cali studying in medicine and Beau in becoming a teacher. The Kerschen’s also love the option of being near home with WSU so they can also help on their family farm whenever asked. This is now their 2nd year at WSU and are planning on continuing through there as well.

Beau is currently throwing the hammer for Wichita State. Beau just recently went to Baylor with the track team where he threw his new PR. He has been struggling lately to get good marks at some of their recent meets, but Saturday sure made up for it. Beau was also a part of the team who won nationals last year. He has been asked to learn the 4 spin since high school, which he has really gotten a hang of very quickly. In his free time he spends it at their local farm. He has many tiring jobs on the farm as well and loves being with his family. Besides just the sporting aspect, he also spends a bunch of time working on home work and preparing for tests. This takes a lot out of a person, as soon as practice is over, it is time to go home and study or do hours of homework. Many people do not see this side of athletes but it is a very important part of their careers.

Beau Kerschen - Track and Field - Wichita State Athletics

Unlike Beau, Cali is a hurdler and was a 2nd place runner up 100m hurdler in class 4A during high school. She was running 15s in high school but has shaved her time down to an impressive 14.56 in the 100m hurdles. She is also running the 400m hurdles for WSU as well. Cali went to Tabor community college this weekend so she could get a race under her belt. She has been battling a serious hamstring injury since the indoor season and is finally working her way back into the swing of things. She has gone through a bunch of therapy and recovery to get back from where she left off. As soon as she is ready and healthy again, she will be continuing to compete at the high level track meets. But just like Beau, she has been taking extremely hard classes too while working on the local farm. With going into medicine and health care professions, you have to realize how tough of classes she has to take as well. She has been maintaining her grades along with track going on.

Cali Kerschen - Track and Field - Wichita State AthleticsI think these twins are some of the best athletes to come out of Andale. They have pushed themselves to be top level competitors and have earned the title of a D1 athlete. They have also proved that even with work, school, and sports, you can do it all and still be very successful. I think these two should always be in consideration when talking about role models. They are very good and kind people and have worked their butts off to be where they are today. They never gave up on their dreams and their hard work finally paid off.  Their prior coaches also said that they are some of the most coach-able and enjoyable kids they have worked with. This is only their 2nd year and they are going to keep improving with more time. I cannot wait to see how far they will go!

View Comments (1)
$225
$1000