• St. Marks Sprint to Success

St. Mark’s Sprint to Success

• Unlocking Success: The Journey of Michelle Shackelford

Unlocking Success: The Journey of Michelle Shackelford

• Samson and Philomena Sadiqs Journey to America

Samson and Philomena Sadiq’s Journey to America

• 8th Grade Promotion Information

8th Grade Promotion Information

• Emery Park Pond

Spring Fishing In Sedgwick County

• The Bretthauer Empire: Cutterz Lawn Care

The Bretthauer Empire: Cutterz Lawn Care

• Reflecting on a Legacy: Honoring Becky Strunks Retirement

Reflecting on a Legacy: Honoring Becky Strunk’s Retirement

35 Years of Hard Work

Brunin’s Family Cafe Hits a Big Mile Stone

Have you ever heard of Brunin’s cafe in Andale Kansas? If you haven’t then it’s a great time to check it out. Popular menu items like the “Starvin Marvin” and the “Chicken Fried Steak” are hard to pass up when you’re looking for a breakfast getaway! Recently Brunin’s has reached a big milestone of 35 years, so we decided to ask the owners a few questions. 

In 1988, Ron Brunin and his wife decided to open their own restaurant after working in Bushes Restaurant, which is just north of Andale, Kansas. They started serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner to the community. Ron smoked meats and even won a Chicken Fried Steak Award. Once Ron passed, his daughters Amiee and Andi took over the family business working extra hard to keep it running. It is now open four days a week from 7am to 1pm on Thursdays and Fridays, Saturdays it’s open from 6:30am to 12:30pm, and on Sundays from 7am to 12pm.

When asked what has motivated them to keep their business for so long, Andi Martin (one of the owners) said “Being in a small community and just a place for the church to come in. Also it’s a place for people who can’t drive or the elderly, and it’s a small family business that’s been open for 35 years”. 

Andi’s favorite thing about running a small town business is seeing the regulars that come in and enjoy the cafe and become like a family. She hopes to “ just keep it as long as we can”.  Andi’s favorite memory about growing up with a family business was seeing her grandchildren grow up with the cafe, and watching her daughters work at Brunin’s for their first job. While most families are spending their holidays with family, Brunin’s is working hard to provide food for others during the holiday season.

The Starvin Marvin, the chicken fried steak, and the fried chicken, are three of sixty four items found on the menu and some of Andi’s favorite meals. The Starvin Marvin is one of their most unique meals. It consists of a biscuit with cheese, diced ham, two eggs topped with gravy and hash browns. Some advice Andi would give to new business owners is what her dad presented her with, “Do what makes you feel good and don’t work yourself to death, try to make it fun, and if it’s not fun then don’t do it”.   

Brunin’s cafe has great staff and ratings. One being “Great food and friendly atmosphere. Treated like family when you walk in the door.Melissa Hermes-May stated. Bruins’s Cafe has beat lots of odds. According to the U.S. government  labor statistics more than 20% of businesses in the U.S. end up failing within a year, after 5 years 50% fail and after 15 years there is a 25% chance of still being open. This is just another thing that shows how hard working Bruinin’s cafe is. You should check them out and serve your community well. Congratulations on 35 amazing years, Brunin’s!