• Andale/GP: Pros and Cons of The Merge

Andale/GP: Pros and Cons of The Merge

• State Band Results: The Highlights and Beyond

Fine Arts

State Band Results: The Highlights and Beyond

• The Continued Athletic Career Of Jenna Kuepker

The Continued Athletic Career Of Jenna Kuepker

• Renwicks Pride: The Inspiring Journey of Alumni Gwen Martin

Renwick’s Pride: The Inspiring Journey of Alumni Gwen Martin

• Andale Youth Track; A System That Builds Athletes.

Andale Youth Track; A System That Builds Athletes.

• Celebrating Success Beyond Graduation with McKenzie Fairchild

Celebrating Success Beyond Graduation with McKenzie Fairchild

• The Kansas Speedway

The Kansas Speedway

Garden Plain Park Renovation Update

Over the past three months Garden Plain has been renovating their parks.  Their city park hadn’t been repaired or maintained in a number of years, so city council recommended that city staff work with a C&J Construction.  Working with a professional contractor they could restore the parks three pavilions by repairing wood rot on the siding, pouring concrete, repaint the buildings, and stain the support posts.  The city staff had also worked on repairing the damaged play equipment.  They worked on their teeter-totters, replaced some missing swings, and are working to repair benches, basketball goals, and make improvements to the ball field benches.  The cost of repairs and renovations is approximately $25,000 and is spread between 2023 and 2024.  The project is expected to be done before July 1st.

Garden Plain has also been making renovations and improvements their Ternes park (a baseball park).  This will include the addition of a water bottle station, new benches, replacement of the backstop, replacement of the players benches in the dugouts, a new pavilion, and potentially a new press box/concession stand.  The total cost of the additions and repairs is estimated to be $18,000 once completed, and is also spread between the 2023 and 2024.  The ball park is expected to be complete by fall.

The City is working with a professional pool design company, Waters Edge, to design a new municipal swimming pool to be located at City Park. Last year the City submitted a grant application to the National Parks Service that would fund about half the cost of the construction. Because the project is still under design, there is only an estimate for the total cost of $2.5 million. The cost not funded by the grant will likely be bonded by the City and paid off over the next 15-20 years.    

As of currently (April 11th) the City Park pavilion renovations are nearly completed public works staff is working to restore and repair the picnic tables.  The next step in the Ternes Park renovations is the completion of the water bottle/dog watering station, the backstop, and the pavilion.  The park is a huge asset to the community and improves the quality of life for our residents and visitors that come to the community. It is utilized by students and the school district as well as private and public special events, and ball teams for practices and games. Recreation and public health are very important, and the park provides that opportunity. The city will continue to work hard to find grants to fund additional improvements and be sure they maintain the current facilities so that they last for many years to come.

Information from a written interview with Kelly McElroy, Garden Plain City Administrator.